Preventing A Dryer Fire In Your Redington Beach Home
Preventing A Dryer Fire
Not many people realize how dangerous clothes dryers can be. However, each year, there are thousands of fires caused by dryers, plus several hundred individuals who are subjected to carbon monoxide poisoning from dryer vent setups which were not set up properly. Sometimes, a faulty appliance is to blame, but many times, fires can be prevented when dryers are vented properly.
Accumulation of lint and reduced airflow together give the perfect conditions for creating a fire and fire damage in your Redington Beach home. Most dryers include lint traps or filters made to capture the lint. However, these filters do not capture all the lint, and the assumption is that regularly emptying them is enough to protect the dryer. Half of all dryer fires can be accounted for by this since they start within lint traps. When you have been unfortunate enough to experience a dryer fire, SERVPRO is the one you want to contact for help. We are a highly professional and experienced fire damage remediation company, and we take care to get your home back in order.
Proper maintenance can help you avoid these fires. Cleaning and emptying the lint from the exhaust pipe and the rear of the dryer after each use is the first step. Once you clean the lint filter, you should check for rips or tears and replace a damaged lint trap right away. Do not ever put any synthetic substances like foams, plastics, rubber, or any cloth which has been used to clean any potentially combustible or flammable liquids in the dryer, even if you have thoroughly washed them.
The exhaust pipe on your dryer should be short as is allowable based on the dryer’s location in your home. Keep it as straight as possible and limit any bends to allow for an airflow that is unrestricted. It is recommended to use a spiral-wound, aluminum, or steel duct aluminum flex hose, and not white vinyl hose.
If your dryer is powered by gas instead of electric, get it inspected routinely by a professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are intact. Keep any combustible objects away from the dryer. Things like paper, boxes, chemicals or anything else which would be an accelerant needs to be kept away. Of course, do not ever run the dryer when you are not at home.
When SERVPRO is called to repair fire damage, we work quickly and efficiently. Smoke and soot, plus water left behind from firefighting efforts, are still creating problems for your home. We take care of everything to prevent additional damage.
SERVPRO of Seminole & Central Gulf Beaches is always professional and courteous when we come to your home. Contact us right away at (727) 391-6212 once your fire is out so we can clean and repair your home properly.
Click here for more about Redington Beach.