Detecting Home Water Damage in Seminole Walls and Ceilings
SERVPRO Water Restoration Techs Can Restore Water Damaged Seminole Structures
Home water damage can go undetected for days, weeks, months, or even longer and can leave extensive damage in its wake. While Seminole homeowners can take steps to lower risk or detect damage early, restoration professionals can fix the damage more thoroughly when it does occur.
SERVPRO water damage cleanup for Seminole properties focuses on remediating damage following a homeowner's insurance policy while helping property owners save on repair and replacement costs incurred by moisture exposure. SERVPRO responds to calls day and night to ensure that service is as timely as it is comprehensive.
How To Detect Moisture in Walls and Ceilings
Many instances of water damage have easily-discerned causes, like leaky under-sink plumbing or washing machine supply line perforations. However, other leaks and issues require a more careful eye to detect.
- One of the most immediate giveaways of water damage to walls and ceilings is noticeably elevated humidity in the home, which a distinct musty odor can accompany.
- Drywall that is visibly damaged, stained, or features bubbling and peeling paint is almost certainly suffering from moisture damage in a wall cavity. Push on it very slightly to see if it feels soft or fragile.
- Look behind appliances where possible for damage to walls or ceilings. Water heaters, dishwashers, and refrigerators are prone to potential leaks that can impact drywall and baseboards, and flooring.
- Check attics for signs of water damage that can trickle down to the lower floors. Sagging ceilings are often the result of water damage coming from above.
- Consider installing moisture sensors around the home in vulnerable areas. Many wireless systems can send warnings directly to homeowners' phones.
Mold can grow in as little as 24 hours after damage begins, so take care when performing these inspections to minimize the risk of potential health effects. SERVPRO can inspect a home with powerful inspection tools calibrated explicitly for drywall, wood, and other water damaged surfaces.
SERVPRO Mitigates Water Damage and Salvages Impacted Walls and Ceilings
SERVPRO technicians can respond to calls for moisture mitigation with a full suite of restoration tools that specifically target moisture. This repertoire includes air movement and dehumidification equipment, moisture extractors, and odor control tools that can mitigate moisture odors that affect the comfort of a home.
To save structural materials like drywall, SERVPRO can:
- Inspect sheetrock with penetrating and non-penetrating moisture measurement tools.
- Carefully remove baseboards and unsalvageable segments of drywall with controlled demolition practices. Ceilings may require the addition of weep holes for moisture removal.
- Temporarily remove salvageable insulation from an external wall cavity for drying and reimplementation.
- Establish containment with sealed polyethylene drying chambers in open spaces for more efficient drying
- Sanitize water-damaged wall studs and ceiling joists with EPA-registered biocides
Water restoration tactics prepare spaces for restoration to a clean, pre-disaster state ready for repairs. SERVPRO can perform such tasks as reinstalling or replacing baseboards, repairing damaged drywall, and preventing further damage to framing by drying and sealing wood stained by water damage. Technicians can also paint surfaces and deploy wet foggers for deodorization, among other services that improve a home's comfort after a disaster.
We're Faster To Any Size Disaster and can take homeowners' calls 24 hours a day. Call SERVPRO of Seminole & Central Gulf Beaches at (727) 391-6212 for fast-responding inspection, mitigation, and rebuilding services.